View Single Post
Old 07-06-16, 10:01 PM   #18
DEnd
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
DEnd,
that's an interesting article. Great results at a competitive price /sqm (or sqf).

So, proper insulation if the most important factor.
I will research how to obtain the best possible without changing construction methods used here as that would bring costs up.

Also he costs ground source heatpumps at USD22,000, I'd expect a DIY system to be much cheaper.

On another note, we use a lot of solar hot water heating here, perhaps i could look at using that as a source of heat rather than geothermal??
Proper Insulation and air sealing are the most important yes. Since you have a mild climate you won't likely need massive levels of insulation. But that all depends on what your energy use goals are. A passivhaus consultant and/or a mechanical engineering (HVAC) firm can likely do some energy modeling and give you an Idea on what your energy expenditures are likely to be. Energy Modeling is far from precise but it is the best tool available.

I'm pretty skeptical on GSHPs. I want to love the idea, but the install cost drive me batty, especially when you can get similar operating cost from air source units in a lot of climates.

Solar thermal doesn't make a lot of financial sense in many cases. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ly-really-dead
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote