View Single Post
Old 11-29-09, 08:39 PM   #6
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

I was reading your install log again out of curiosity and I noticed the relatively high power factor rating (0.9-0.95) on the specifications. So the "reactance" is very likely an active PFC boost inductor.
http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ginv/615dcdc.jpg
That picture of the Prius DC/DC converter should give you an idea of how high power inductors and transformers are usually connected to circuit boards. I would expect the inductor in the A/C to be similar to the one in the Prius DC/DC except it would be wound with many turns of Litz wire due to the high HF AC currents going through it. (The one in the Prius DC/DC is a smoothing inductor so it does not have much HF AC going through it and therefore is wound with solid wire. In fact, skin effect would help further reduce noise by increasing impedance at higher frequencies.)

And with the effect of the active PFC reducing peak currents, the cheap power meter you put on it should be fairly accurate.