View Single Post
Old 11-20-09, 05:46 PM   #6
tasdbois
Lurking Renovator

I bought a house. Well, I bought one on paper. The delivery date is next August 12th. It's a 24 by 37 cottage plus a garage and basement. Instead of just filling the hole with dirt, the garage base floor will be laid flush with the basement footing, so I'll form the actual garage floor 4 feet above the footing, it'll be supported by sonotubes. There'll be a hole in the garage floor, kind of like a pit, but with a safety exit from under the garage into the basement. So I'll have some place to easily work under my cars plus some storage. The space under the front concrete porch will also be enclosed with an access from the basement to make a cold room/wine cellar.

The house will be built on a lot I chose, so since I live in a cold climate it will be oriented with the most windows facing true south. The windows will be laid this way:

North: 34%
South: 56%
East: 7%
West: 4%

The house will be built to the code we have here, so it should be well insulated, I'll have to work out the details with my builder, but I already know the basement will be insulated with a couple inches of spray on closed cell foam.

I've read a lot of stuff over at builditsolar.com, so I know a bit what I'll have to look for to make sure the house is well sealed during the build, and add caulk where I need to, but any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
tasdbois is offline   Reply With Quote