View Single Post
Old 11-14-09, 09:31 AM   #120
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
All the motors are DC, and they seem to be doing a soft-start when they come on..

I think in-rush current might be a problem during power-up from the circuit breakers
or during a power blink.
My guess is, the 230 AC hits some diodes and then some capacitors with a little jolt..

Notice the N & L (middle right side) go right into the PCB.. The high voltage DC supply is always live. On or Off aka standby.

The Power Relay is going to stay on continuously, unless there is a problem. Overload or pressure.

Edit:
Now that I've read what I typed.. My advice is to open the breakers during any vacations..
Why leave HV DC on and the control boards running.?.
Nice set-up. That's a good idea, disconnecting when gone.
Is there a schematic showing the power supply leading to the schematic you posted? Because it shows only one AC line "hot" wire going to the control circuit. Your system is connected to your house wiring with a 4 wire system right (2 hots, 1 Neutral,1 Gnd)?
I was just thinking about a problem you may encounter trying to use the killawatt this way. If your system isn't balanced, you won't be able to accurately measure system power using one hot. There could be a 120v part in the system drawing from one hot side and using the neutral as a return. If it's hard to tell from the schematic, then this could be checked with a clamp on style ammeter while the unit is operating. If both hots have the same current and the neutral has zero then it's balanced and the killawatt idea should work well. The Gnd wire shouldn't ever have any current unless there is some kind of insulation fault . Check these currents in all types of operation modes.
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote