View Single Post
Old 12-15-15, 04:37 PM   #15
netzero
Lurking Renovator

Post my 2 cents: hybrid panels

Thanks for your post and for your question: lots of good info in all of them to consider. I think I got them all and did not see any reference to the panel type affecting production. We live near Philadelphia and have installed more than a dozen systems for clients both with string inverters and a few with the enphase product which we find fails at a 10% rate after 3 years.

Philly is surprisingly cloudy: almost smack in the middle between Tucson and Seattle in the numbers. Because of their hybrid Mono/poly cell technology, Sanyo was yelling pretty good in 2011 and 2012 that they could out produce other panels in our climate and so we took them up on a system for ourselves. because of multiple roof angles and use of enphase we were able to do a study and by panel and by panel type and location and could answer some questions for ourselves. As a rule we found that with enphase ,Sanyo panels outperformed Solar worlds in similarly angled strings by a factor of 12% with shading being equal. We also installed solar on an awning over a solar south facing windows and found these panels outperformed all others with a white roof under them; even when angled at latitude. Interestingly, the 12% (almost exactly) held true in this position as well. We theorize the awning panels ran cooler minus the roof and with the cooling column of air rising up the face of the building. We cautiously conclude that the Sanyo (now labeled Panasonic) in our climate will outperform a solar World that does not enjoy the Hybrid HIT technology. Since we first installed them in 2010, we have never had a failure from Sanyo and Decay at 4 years runs about 1.75%.
netzero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to netzero For This Useful Post:
philb (12-17-15)