View Single Post
Old 11-24-15, 05:25 PM   #110
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I got a lot to update on so bare with me. I put on the 7,500 (39.5 LRA) compressor and as expected it worked, just didn't do much heating. It stayed on all night to keep up. Use 6.5 kwh of power and only kept it at 58F.

I have been thinking and thinking, here is what I came up with. I remembered how someone mentioned in my heat pump water heater build that I needed the suction line to get cold in order to cool the compressor. This was also when I noticed the water getting hot much faster.
My conclusion is that my evap (DX loop) IS TOO BIG. No matter how cold (20F), or how big a compressor (11,000 BTU) the return line stays no less than 65F. I believe this to be other reason for the last compressor failure.
So I started looking for a big compressor, and as luck would have it I did a call for a HVAC guy today and was given this beauty. Friedrich PDE15K5SF-A Friedrich PDE15K5SF 15 000 BTU Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner with 5 0 KW Electric Heat
http://www.sylvane.com/media/documen...ers-manual.pdf

I hope this will get enough flow through the DX loop to chill the suction line. If not I have a 2 ton compressor I can put on it.

Problem being I don't have 220V in the greenhouse, but that can be solved because I will need 220V in there when I doing the house geothermal system anyway.
So some thing to consider..... This thing is R410A, so I will either have to drain the oil and use mineral oil for R290 or I can drain my oil separator and use R410A. I think I will gain capacity (BTUS) by switching to R290. Thoughts? Or am I totally wrong?
Also should I use the existing evap or condenser? The condenser looks bigger but doesn't have the cool squirrel cage, speed adjustable fan. Plus it has a air filter.
Next should I try to hack the existing controls and just use the one thermostat for the fish tank? Or should I just slap on the controls like I have them now?

Tons to consider, tons to research. But this time this machine is going to work. (I HOPE).
Thanks guys for your help and time!
Attached Images