View Single Post
Old 11-13-15, 01:11 PM   #12
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
And up north where I live, I would seriously consider installing solar PV panels vertical: Summer power generation will still be greater than winter.
I want to address this thought only, as I don't know all of the ins and outs at different latitudes nor do I know your seasonal weather patterns.

However, I do know that in Arab, AL my 2 solar arrays present their best daily numbers in the winter despite the days being much shorter. My very best summer day stands at 42 kWh and my best winter day stands at 49 kWh. It has been my experience that solar panels really like clear and cold weather. BTW, my little array uses micro inverters and the big one uses a Sunny Boy 5000. Both perform enough better in the cold to beat any summer day. We just happen to have longer periods of dreary weather in the winter sucking the life out of our production when compared month to month.

So, I'd say, that if your weather is mostly dreary in the winter and you really don't want to bother with seasonally adjusting your solar panels, go with the season that has the most overall sunshiny days. [My default assumption is that everyone is grid tied until mentioned otherwise.]
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote