View Single Post
Old 09-20-15, 07:57 PM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Ticking all the boxes

We are about to embark on the last augment for home energy. I've been closely watching the price of solar PV and here in Canada the price of solar PV panels has bottomed out, or so I believe and prices have started to rise.

I believe its time for us to jump in.

So far we have done the other improvements to reduce our energy usage. A large solar hot water system. New windows. Extra insulation. better sealing against air infiltration. Geo thermal in-floor heating. LED lighting. It is now time.

The first facet will be a solar pergola. We had a pergola a few years ago and it offered a diffused light pattern that was really appreciated by the Mrs. for our patio area. This pergola was constructed of wood and would wave around in the wind here. We have lots of wind during winter. It was disassembled and given away before it blew away.

So the new solar pergola will be a double hit. Shade for the patio and Solar generated electricity.

The dream of Net Zero Home is strong but possibly un-obtainable. However there is now some very interesting products now available. Like Tesla's new lithium Power Wall for storing such PV produced power and smarter inverters that will prioritize solar energy than battery energy and finally resort back to grid power.

The size of installation will be 4kw. During the summer season it should provide all the necessary energy for home air-conditioning plus plus. After sunset we well be back on the grid. (for now) Just the thought of cooling or heating via solar energy is amazing.

I know that most will be thinking that grid tie should be what we need BUT. I've applied and spoke with the local distributing company numerous times and still (We have power line constraints that won't allow any interconnect).

The solar pergola will be made from stainless steel that has been already collected at bargain price when it popped up. This structure will NOT BLOW AWAY. It is also in keeping with the architecture of the home.

The tubing and sheet stock have already in earnest been machined and cut to be assembled soon before the cold weather.

One of the most neat things that had presented itself was 250 watt panels that are double glass. This allows light through between the cells like leaves on a tree. It should look very cool.

Assembly should progress in the next 2-3 weeks

Randen

Attached Images

Last edited by Daox; 09-23-15 at 08:36 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote