View Single Post
Old 07-21-15, 03:38 PM   #30
dablack
Helper EcoRenovator

Here is my before and after.

While building my house, I put a 1700sqft double wide (brand new) on my property. It was all electric with six people living in it. My July 2014 electric use was 2000 kwh.

My new house that we moved into in May of this year is 2700 sqft of air conditioned space. It has 2x6 construction, a silver metal roof, and (on average) 4" of low density foam in the stud bays and under the roof deck. I also have 1.5" of rigid foam under the metal roof. June of this year was my first full month in the house. Again, my wife and I plus our four kids. Our electric use was 1400 kwh.

I'm obviously very pleased. Over the past month, I did find some air leaks that the spray foam didn't get. It was usually where two studs were together. I still haven't finished caulking and touching up those spots. I think it will be even better after that. Then I also have the rigid foam to put on the outside that I haven't done yet. Then, finally the hardi plank siding. Things are only going to get better. Oh yeah! I haven't built the front porch yet. It was shade the lower half of the south facing wall.

thanks
Austin
dablack is offline   Reply With Quote