View Single Post
Old 06-21-15, 07:40 PM   #26
Xzeption
Lurking Renovator

I am going to try to use quotes for the first time on the forum. Let me know if anything goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I wonder how much moisture your box absorbs during that 1hr?
I am hoping the moisture absorption of wood is insignificant, but I have no data backing that up. This is a relevant question that should be tested later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Your aim is to dry something, so why does this matter?

-AC
I may be messing up the physics here, but I will describe what I am thinking. Evaporating a gram of water takes 2.11 btu/gram. Condensing the water releases the same amount of heat. If water is collecting in the bin, then it is condensing on the coils. The heat pump is transfering the latent heat to the air which can evaporate more water from the laundry.

If water is not collecting in the bin, then the dehumidifier is effectively acting as a resistance heater. Some drying cabinets are actually designed this way, but the theoretical efficiency does not have the same potential as a heat pump. Plus my central AC will have to remove the new latent heat.

I wish my country would switch to the metric system. My apologies to international readers who see me jump between metric and imperial units.
Xzeption is offline   Reply With Quote