View Single Post
Old 05-08-15, 01:19 AM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
AC_Hacker,
I use an epeat gold laptop now...it uses about 22 watts.

My speakers are from Dynaudio and they're 4 ohms so they require power to sound good. I'm still debating an amp for them...

When I need to conserve power I use headphones...
These are all good approaches. The laptop idea sounds really good. My big computer, which I really need to turn off when I'm not using it, is a quad core with loads of ram and big drives that I use for video editing, when I really need the power. It's just my own laziness that I don't turn it off when I'm not using it. (In fact, I just got up and shut it down, I'm feeling so guilty...)

I guess I was being just a bit facetious when I included my sound system, because in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't pull much power.

I used to use a 200W+200W Hafler, for the mains and a 100W+100W for surround, and a 200W for subwoofer but I finally came to my senses. Now I have a modern Denon that barely gets warm when it's in use, and the sound is quite nice. Larger speakers, so I don't need so many watts.

I'd have to say that that relentless insulation upgrades (which has also been accompanied by knock-on relentless infiltration reductions) has been the biggest improvement.

And since I don't have a horde of people using hot water, the demand heater really does especially well.

Then there's my puny little 3/4T heat pump! My goal is to improve the house insulation so much that this little thing will heat the whole house.

Best,

-AC