View Single Post
Old 05-07-15, 07:53 AM   #18
AirConditioner
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
A "threaded flare connection" is a *completely* different animal to a "threaded connection".
I am fully aware of this. AC_Hacker is the only one who lumped all threads into one category. Flare connections are what I have been talking about the whole time, and they are quite standard in refrigeration. New tapered (NPT) fittings with the proper sealant torqued to the right spec can also work, but I agree it would be the most likely place for a leak to happen.

Quote:
Those Brazed Plate Heat Exchangers use parallel threads which are not in any form suitable for sealing.
I believe they are also available with flared connections. Or if they just have pipe stubs coming out I would think they could be flared.

Quote:
Do it whatever way you want to do it, but you have been given sound advice.
I was given advice from only one person, AC_Hacker, who lumped all types of threads into one category and could not properly explain why any of them leak. Until you came along nobody offered any explanation of why threads might leak. I am open to sound advice with proper explanations, not internet ranting "cuz I said so".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
The NPT fittings are not rated for hydraulic high pressure at all.
Sorry, but that is totally incorrect. Just google "hydraulic NPT fitting". This is a random result I got:
http://www.grainger.com/product/ENERPAC-Hose-Fitting-46C623?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/46C623_AS01?$smthumb$

3/8" NPT Reusable hydraulic hose fitting.

I have a hot water pressure washer that uses plenty of 3/8" NPT fittings (OEM) that do not leak on a 3000 PSI, 200 degree heat exchanger with constant heat and pressure cycling.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote