View Single Post
Old 03-19-15, 10:35 AM   #21
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Very nice...
Great job getting to this stage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
If I remember correctly, my house was either 2.6 or 2.8ACH50. The biggest incoming air source was from my water heater closet. I put an overflow pan under the water heater when we built the house, plumbed with a 3/4" CPVC drain pipe through the floor. During the audit I was suprised at how much air it sucked in! Some came in from the gas vent above too, but it didn't feel as drafty from that opening. (Is drafty even a word?)

The worst heat loss was from the two poorly insulated can lights over the kitchen sink. I decided to switch from 60w equivalent CFLs to 40w equivalent LED's in the cans, took aluminum foil tape to seal all the penetrations in the cans and put about two cans of great stuff foam around both cans. Then I covered the whole area in blown in cellulose.

I don't have many other projects for the house that are wife approved, because our gas bill is just above the minimum charge, and we have received checks for excess production from the PV array for two years in a row now that were enough to pay the gas, water and landline telephone bills for the year.

I'm a very happy camper on that front!

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (03-19-15)