View Single Post
Old 10-07-09, 07:24 PM   #137
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Hello to everyone, this is my first post here although I follow this idea and similar forums.
Welcome to the discussion Nikolai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Regarding isolation, do not forget to underground pipes draws heat from the earth at a depth below about 1.5 m, while all that is shallower than that is above the "frost line".

This means that theoretically you should insulate pipes to a depth of 1.5 m, but in practice I think that is enough to isolate less, likely to 1m depth max. Of course, all parts of the pipes that come from the soil should be well insulated, and separated each one of other.

For this purpose, Styrofoam or similar can be used ...
I agree that the pipes should be as deep as is reasonably possible. And I also agree that they should be below the frost line.

Where I live, the frost line used to be 18 inches (about 0.5 meter), but now it has been re-defined as 9 inches (about 0.25 meter). So, compared to some other parts of the world, it doesen't' get very cold here.

You didn't mention where you live in your post Nikolai, but a frost line of 1.5 meters means that you must live pretty far North or South, or at a very high altitude.

Where do you live?

There is another reason why running pipes deep would be a good idea, and that is that they draw in heat in a circular pattern. So if they were deeper, there would be more area in the circular pattern to draw from.

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote