Thread: PassivHaus
View Single Post
Old 12-14-14, 11:33 AM   #12
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
I brought this up because I am working on a 3 floor, 380m2 passivHaus and we are struggling to select the heating system. The owners are leaning towards radiant tubing and 40mm of thermal over pour (gypcrete) even though it is a high cost for very little heat output. It does, however, make the heat very even and has other benefits (sound and fire).
I was wondering about this part of the project...

If this actually is a passive house, the heating need should (by design) be only occasionally required, and when the heat is required, it should be very, very modest. The whole rationale behind Passive House is that no heating system is required at all. That is why it is "passive".

For instance, your comment about the heat being very even... if you mean spatially even, like, "the floor will feel warm all over."

The floor will not feel warm anywhere, because the heat needs will be so low, that the temperature will never be high enough for bare feet to ever sense warmness.

HERE_IS_A_LINK that explains why this is the case.

A lot of people who want radiant floors are led by the dream of warm feet in the winter.

If your radiant floor got warm enough to feel warm on the feet, AND if it actually is a Passive House, your client will have to throw open windows in the winter to keep the room temp at a comfortable level... This would completely cancel out the work that their ultra high efficiency (and very expensive) HRV is doing. They will be cursing the person who put in radiant floors all the while.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 12-14-14 at 11:36 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (01-24-15)