View Single Post
Old 11-26-14, 02:07 AM   #40
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Good thread! Preparedness has become more important to me since becoming a dad and having little ones depending on me.
A couple of thoughts,
Old cellphones even without any service contract should still be able to access 911, as long as they are charged.
If you have a generator and a natural gas heater consider wiring the heater to use an extension cord end for power. Under normal conditions its plugged into a receptacle in your attic, emergencies its plugged into your genny.
I keep my cable modem and router on one ups, and my entertainment center on a separate ups. The CyberPower EC850LCD Ecologic 850VA/510-Watts Energy Efficient Desktop LCD UPS is pretty sweet and has a lcd display. Most of the time its just an overpriced surge protector but for the price of electronics I feel it gives me a little extra protection from low voltage and brown outs.
A cordless phone doesn't do much in an outage. Awhile back I was looking to replace an ugly corded phone to find out how hard it is to find unpowered corded phones. Goodwill turned out to be the best source at the time.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote