View Single Post
Old 10-30-14, 11:20 PM   #2
F357
Helper EcoRenovator

I'm no expert, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard1 View Post
IN THEORY, if we could plumb a refrigerant/water heat exchange between the compressor and the condenser and then pipe the water from the pool filet through the other side of the HX it would heat his pool and cool his house, correct ?
Yep. I did something very basic like this several years ago with a window unit. Basically pumped pool water over the condenser and caught some of it to go back into the pool. It worked quite well, aside from looking like a disaster and leaking water all over. The air inside will be colder, and it will probably use less watts, too!

Quote:
My biggest concern is damaging the HX when there is no water flow and the compressor is running.
That would be my concern also. You don't want to run it if there is no water flow.

Quote:
[*]How do you calculate the additional refrigerant required ?
It will have to do with the pressures and temperatures you see in your system. You will need a cheap set of A/C gauges for charging to read when it is full.

For a heat exchanger, you could use something as simple as a length of copper tubing submerged in water. (30 feet?)

Last edited by F357; 10-31-14 at 12:30 AM..
F357 is offline   Reply With Quote