View Single Post
Old 08-30-14, 12:09 AM   #36
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Again, we as individuals cannot control what kind of equipment the power company supplies us power with. We just pay for it and let someone like you deal with how to supply it. If the power company has a problem with my homebrew experiment and the cheap chinese cfl lamps they gave me for free, I'm sure I'll get aletter in the mail or sumthin.
You're right we don't have a choice as an individual in power transmission equipment.

We have the choice to use or not use polluting technology. Awareness helps you realize something you maybe overlooking.

It isn't ILLEGAL for someone to drive a pre-cat 7mpg V8 400 cid Impala every day in Los Angeles or use an AC unit that creates 175% harmonics with a 3kW draw assuming that the said retrofit/modification was done with the necessary permit and passed permit.

Things like cat delete or PFC bypass can make certain numbers look favorable, but goes against the original intent or have other harmful effect. If the intent is to reduce contributory harm, but you're actually increasing it, it's just so sad, isn't it?

We can't choose what they use at the sewage treatment plant, but we have the choice to opt for products with lower contributory harm. Same with appliances.

As far as supply sided control light bulb efficiency, catalytic converter requirements and permissible refrigerants are some examples of legislative measures.

Many incentives offered by utility sponsored programs require standards above and beyond the legal mandate. These definitely affect purchase decision. So, it wouldn't be illegal for utilities to add harmonic content or standby power into qualification criteria so that devices with higher levels of harmonics don't qualify for incentives, or heck strip subsidies for "photovoltaic" and reallocate the funds in efficiency improvement project such as subsidizing rewards for homes with low harmonic content. Look at those moaning and groaning about it as public monies incentive are thinned down on photovoltaic installs or discontinuation of lucrative net metering buyback rates.
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote