View Single Post
Old 02-13-14, 07:02 PM   #13
where2
DIY Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug30293 View Post
Last year I put a box fan in the area where we hang clothes. It is tipped up at about 45 degrees into the clothes and runs on low (about 60W).

The fan cuts drying time to less than half and completely eliminates any musty smell... I suggest trying the box fan if drying indoors. The difference is amazing.
I'll EcoRenovate you up one notch, I've been working on my solar dryer version 2. I've got a 20W 12V PV panel with a charge controller attached to a 17Ah battery. I have that coupled to a set of three 6W 12V muffin fans ($5 each). These fans move 130cfm per fan. I've been meaning to build a rig that will hang them so they draw air from the warmest part of the room (the ceiling), and blow it straight down across a row of clothes hanging on hangers on a clothes rod.

Now you see why I have been investigating a HP water heater: It'll lower the consumption off my PV system, and extract the extra moisture out of my house, while it heats my water to wash another load of clothes. I live in a prime location to run a solar water heater, but that won't dehumidify the house as a side effect.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote