View Single Post
Old 01-30-14, 09:31 AM   #172
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have net metering and they zero out any extra power generated once a year. The date is June first. This is bad because it is right after three very solar months plus a time where we don’t have to use much heat or AC.

I have been working with Duke Power to get this changed. It looks like I have made progress but now they want to maybe change it to 11/1 they say a lot of solar users have gas heat so they want to zero out then.

I just installed Mini splits to heat with and put in enough solar so I could carry over extra power to the winter and heat with it. Wow if they zero use out 11/1 that will kill me. I sure hope this does not back fire on me.

I have contacted the biggest solar installer trying to get him on board. He is reviewing his customers to see how many are like me. Duke power had just called him to talk about what date to use.

He seemed fine with march 1 as the date I purposed because even know he uses most of his power in the summer the winter he just breaks even or has to pay some. He wants me to call him in a couple days to talk about it again.

In North Carolina Duke Power wanted to change net metering to only give solar customers wholesale rates not retail credit as we get now. People picketed to corporate office. Duke has raised rates last three years in a row so they back off for now.

It is crazy to think that we invest on solar based on the rules in place but they could change for the worst so quickly.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-30-14 at 09:37 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote