View Single Post
Old 01-29-14, 08:59 AM   #10
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek View Post
It's seems great. I will check it for sure. Thank you very much for your advice.
Something else to keep in mind is that 'standard' building practices will not achieve the specifications that the PHPP has calculated.

There are high-performance building techniques that must accompany a Passive House build, if that is what you are after.

From what I have been able to determine, for the most part, conventional building materials can be used, but they are used in a way that minimizes heat loss.

It seems that 'thermal bridging' is a problem that standard construction often overlooks, but avoiding thermal bridging is integral to Passive House construction. I discovered that ignoring thermal bridging can reduce insulation effectiveness by 18%, that's a big loss.

Infiltration reduction is attacked with a vengeance in Passive House construction. A properly built Passive House must use mechanical ventilation to supply fresh air, and all fresh air enters through a heat exchange ventilator.

Finally, there are very few windows and doors that will meet Passive House standards, and those that are certified are very expensive.

Since the PHPP gives you a running total, you have the option of designing around super efficient doors & windows.

The up front costs to build a Passive House is high, but considering that a high efficiency heating system is not required, the total up front costs are only modestly higher.

You pay now or you pay later.

-AC