View Single Post
Old 11-30-13, 09:37 PM   #8
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks for all the information, folks. I'll look at the Mitsubishi models, too. My brother had heard good things about those.

I called a friend who has a Hallowell Acadia 2-stage system and while he was initially very happy with it, it has now crapped out, and since that company is out of business, and the compressor subcontractor won't help him; he's got a $12K dead white elephant. He works at a company that has a number of heat pumps, and they require roughly a $300 annual maintenance, and seem to really get stressed below 30F. This means the compressors take a lot of wear and tear, and you end up relying on resistance heat or your old furnace when the temps get low.

I'm wondering about solar water heaters with a large storage tank for a heat source for heat pumps?

Also, what is the ballpark installed cost of a single zone mini split system, like the larger Fujitsu units?

My porch crawlspace is not open air. I was thinking that the thermal mass of the bare ground and the thick stone (field stone and mortar) foundation would be a "ground source" for heat, but may be limited by the speed that heat can be pulled into the air under the porch.

I'll check the build threads you linked to as soon as I can.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote