Thread: New homeowner
View Single Post
Old 11-17-13, 11:29 AM   #1
thx712517
Lurking Renovator

Default New homeowner

Hi there! I'll be a first-time homeowner by the end of this week, knock on wood. We're in Georgia. The house is from 1988 and I'd like to know where to start and what to focus on to make it more efficient.

We know that the water heater is at the end of its life, so it'll have to be replaced very soon. It's a natural gas unit, 50 gallons. It was efficient for its time, but I think it's something like 15 years old. Now I'm all about increasing efficiency, but my wife is a bit more difficult to convince. I'm trying to figure out if an $850 water heater rated at 0.70 efficiency or an $1850 heater rated at 0.82 efficiency would be the better bet over ten years time. Two people currently, but will be three or four in a few years.

The furnaces are nearing the end of their lives as well. One in the garage, one in the attic. They're ancient (25 years?) 75,000 btu units. I'm interested in heat pumps, but again I need to swing cost over time with the wife. Me, I'm happy to spend and cut down the bills regardless, but she's the logical one, and we'll be tight on cash for six months or so.

I'm interested in the waste-water heat recovery, I just need to figure out if there's space for something like that. Do people insulate their plumbing? We've got copper and PEX pipe.

I've got one low-flow showerhead (1.5 gpm was the lowest I was allowed for wifely happiness) but I'll replace the other showerhead soon. I also plan on 0.75 gpm nozzles for the faucets, and in time I'd like to replace the toilets with the Niagara 0.8 gpf toilets.

We have old loose insulation in the attic that according to the inspection was adequate for the time but could be better. Do we suck all that up and blow in new? Blow new in on top of old? As far as the roof goes, the inside of the roof is just bare wood. Would we see a big difference if we put batting in between the rafters?

I also plan on getting some intelligent thermostats for the house. Keep it one temperature during the day, then get it up to a preset level a half hour or so before we arrive home. There will be a dog in the house so I don't want it getting too hot/cold.

The AC system is from 2005, so it's got a while to go before we replace it. Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? All are welcome!

thx712517 is offline   Reply With Quote