View Single Post
Old 10-24-13, 06:48 AM   #35
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Congratulations on a job well done by yourself! This is the time of year (swing season) that these units perform at top efficiency. My central unit hasn't run since the last time it was above 90. OTOH, my home-brewed, repurposed, recycled beige box window unit has been running like a dishwasher, saving money over the central air and energy and money over the gas furnace.

I too had a knock-off gauge set, and experienced the same types of problems. I had pinhole vacuum leaks that came and went with the valve o-rings' moods. I had a line pop while I was doing a pressure test with inert gas. That was the last straw. I gave that gage set to my dad and now it hangs pretty in his garage. I have since replaced the manifold set with a robinair unit, which works like magic. They and yellow jacket have lifetime warranties on their stuff, so if you buy 'em new you can get free repair kits or replacement shwag for free for life. More importantly, the counter guy at the refrigeration supply shop will remember you when you return.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote