View Single Post
Old 09-24-13, 12:12 PM   #136
Daox
Administrator

Back to the office remodel again! I worked on drywalling the ceiling again last night and I'll be at it again tonight.

However, now I'm trying to figure out the floor heating ahead of time. I think my current setup idea is pretty good, but I am always willing to hear suggestions.

The floor will be hydronically heated via my solar hot water system (which isn't yet up) and probably will eventually have a boiler backup. This means it is designed with lower water temperatures in mind.

The current plan is to use 3/8" pex tubing in wood grooves on 6" centers with aluminum heat spreaders similar to this:

I will be running a few of the 3/8" lines in parallel to reduce the pumping power required for it. See more info here: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...r-heating.html

I have about 1 3/8" of floor depth to match the other rooms. From top to bottom I have:

.56" bamboo flooring
~.02" heat spreader
.50" pex tubing
.25" XPS insulation for a thermal break (I assume I can get this via special order)
1.33" total thickenss

I am a little worried about how I'll lay out the tubing. With 6" on center tubing I have to either find 3/8" PEX with a 3" bend radius (typical is more like 4" according to pex universe), or make the tubing layout a little fancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote