View Single Post
Old 06-08-13, 01:24 PM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
yup, that is probably what I will do. 3/4" gap between the tyvek and the siding so liquid can run down and dry naturally. The only question comes with the use of foam because from what I have seen most people are putting ROXUL or another drainage board on the wall AND the insulation is over a stud wall while this is over brick.
I haven't put a rain screen system on my house (yet). But I have a friend who has put one on his house... your 3/4" space seems a bit large to me, I believe my friend was using 3/8" space, but it probably doesn't matter.

I have noticed that here in Portland, where winter rain is a big event, there are many, many examples of new construction that are using this technique... especially houses and buildings designed by architects. Builder designed houses and renovating companies don't seem to be getting involved.

On the building science website, there is a report on a 20-year-later tear off and assessment of a rain screened building, and there was essentially no problem found with the approach.

But one of the fine points I was referring to is insect intrusion, and the care that needs to be taken to provide air flow entry and at the same time prohibit insect entry.

-AC