View Single Post
Old 04-03-13, 02:47 PM   #6
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It may be that my description of the affect of an induction stove was a bit hyperbolic. But I think the principle behind the description was basically right. Utilities make electrical power as it is used and their design and number of plants are fitted to peak load, not average load. Even if you only double the power required within a 5 minute span due to induction stove heating over electric range heating it will have an effect. If you and all your neighbors that share the 440volt circuit block cook a meal that way from 6:00 to 7:00 PM there is a high likelyhood that perhaps on one day out of the week 33% of you will sychronize over a part of that 5 minutes of most intense power draw. That five minute period, even if it only occurs one day a week will be the new peak that the utility must design for. Multiply that by millions of households in your time zone and the local utility will have a problem.

Like I said (hyperbolicly speaking) the effect would be like everyone firing up the welding machine at mealtime. I think it sounds ridiculous just because no one has thought of what the effect of it might be, not because its an intrinsically ridiculous idea.

As far as the wiring go - wire can easily handle peak loads like this as long as it isn't doesn't occur 24/7. It might even be able to handle it then. (After all, induction stoves aren't really welding machines. That was just an illustration point.)
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote