View Single Post
Old 04-03-13, 08:46 AM   #5
stevehull
Steve Hull

Exeric,

Let's think about this for a bit. I understand your concern about low impedance loads, but an instantaneous burst of very high current is going to first affect the home wiring.

I did check on some new induction stoves this am and looked at total current, peak current, etc. I don't see any of the instantaneous issues.

Secondly, I don't see induction stoves as a "cure all". Gone are your aluminum pots as all cooking pots/pans must be ferrous (read expensive).

Thirdly, the cost of an induction cooktop is FAR more expensive than a standard resistance one.

Long time to pay off any putative savings . . .

Lastly, I see all the time of "experts" that comment on issues that are totally wrong. Just recently, a mechanic was quoted on national media that putting high octane gasoline in cars, designed for lower octane, is helpful for the engine and the higher octane "cleans out the engine". Absolute nonsense!

Or how about those infamous "power savers" that the electric company does not want you to know about . . . .

Not saying you didn't read what you read. But my bottom line impression is that induction cooktops are not going to kill the grid.

Steve