View Single Post
Old 11-27-12, 12:33 AM   #33
Hv23t
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by launboy View Post
What are you planning to use for a defrost system? Also, do you have a circulator pump or some system to distribute the heat from the HP tank to the other tank? Otherwise the resistance still has to maintain that tanks heat, although I guess the heat loss through the tank isn't much.

Adam
Yes your right the resistance elements will have to maintain the temp in the primary tank. I cant imagine there being much loss there. I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow to pick up a couple tank blankets to insulate them even further. My defrost system is just going to be a recycling timer controlling the compressor. It will take some trial and error but my first setting will be 1 hr on and 5 minutes off. I've done it manually a few times and seems to work well enough. The refridgerant in the lines going to the tank are in the 100-130deg range. When the compressor turns off and that heat distributes itself thru out the system the ice melts pretty fast. I also just ordered a digital temperature switch that I'm going to set to bypass the heat pump altogether when the air temp gets below 45 deg f. And then it will use the 4000 watt 240 volt element, that is running on 120 volts so is only 1000 watts. And then of course the primary tank has its 4500 watts worth of heating elements to keep the warm water flowing.

Hv23t
Hv23t is offline   Reply With Quote