View Single Post
Old 09-16-12, 02:07 AM   #278
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post

I have bought a couple of those Taco valves but I don't like them. The orifice is so small that I could not run 5 loops of pex without the pump cavitating. The Cv is way too low. I changed them for some honeywell valves that give a much better performance. The point of the mixing valve is to reduce the temp swings in the floor that can come with using room stats. The lag is just too long.
I used this valve and pump works well. You have to have bypass. And this is not a full flow valve but mixing valve. It just adds extra hot/warm water when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post

I have a bias towards concrete and gypcrete. I have used heat emission plates but I believe the best LONG TERM performance and longevity uses lots of thermal mass. Yes, it doesn't respond as quickly but why should it? I also don't have more than one t-stat per floor unless there is a zone with very different heat needs.
In my case I live in warm area. Our winter usually +5+10С day temperature and +5-5 night temperature. So because I used low mass floor system (sandwich) I can get more savings because my system can raise or lower temperature very quickly just a bit slower then air furnace. Also many people don't occupy their house during day time. Using concrete you will heat up your house for no reason when it is not occupied.

Last edited by Vlad; 09-16-12 at 02:10 AM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote