View Single Post
Old 09-10-12, 03:30 PM   #1307
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Pachai

Yes you can convert a air-conditioner to a ground source heat pump and be very happy with the results. This thread covers all you need to know. However there is no free lunch.

The geothermal HVAC is a complete system. You will need a ground loop and a nice tight envelope to be efficient and possibly an in-floor heating system for the low temp application. One other thing is sometimes the compressors (recips.) can be a little noisy. With my application the homemade GSHP is in my shop and I can't hear it for the machines but in the office its a slight anoiance. If maybe you place it in a basement room insulated for sound could be a consideration. I'm heating and air conditioning my shop for about $350.00 worth of electricity now. I don't have the shop as warm or cool as my home but I used to pay $2800.00 for heating oil. The ground loop cost me about $2500.00 and there was some work for the landscaping afterward. My ROI should be fairly quick with the price of oil sky-rocketing. Yes it can be done but it is work.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote