View Single Post
Old 08-08-12, 06:47 AM   #14
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

In my part of SoCal, there are only about 12" ave annual rainfall, 275 sunny days to 35 with any measurable precipitation, and ave annual humidity of just 70%. So if I keep the crawl space vents sealed from the outside during the winter "rainy" season, how much moisture can really get to the insulation in the crawl space, barring a disaster?

I ask because the cost of professionally installed dense-pack dry cellulose in the crawl space under my home is greater than I can afford if I want to complete other needed repairs and improvements. My walls will be professionally insulated with dense-pack cellulose. But I need to DIY the crawlspace. I therefore am stuck between a choice of the R-13 fiberglass batts with facing as a vapor barrier (cheap but not green and not nice to work with) or the R-19 cotton batts (which are pricey and need a separate vapor barrier installed, I suppose). If the cotton batts are so bad in terms of water attraction that they will fail, then I will have to go with fiberglass batts. Are they really that bad in a climate like mine?
rhizomatic is offline   Reply With Quote