View Single Post
Old 07-14-12, 07:01 AM   #1260
RB855
Helper EcoRenovator

Hello again,
The unit has not gone into service yet, but the intended storage tank will be a 55gallon waterheater that has had the lower element disabled. The pump is still a work in progress. Iv made 2 attempts at buying used grundfos and taco pumps from ebay, one got lost in the mail, the second looks undersized and requires a rebuild kit. As it sits Im using a free plastic grundfos spa recirc pump of unknown rating (missing tag). I suspect I'm circulating 2-5gpm. A problem I have run into is the unit runs on 220v, and almost all hydronic circs are 115v, which will require a stepdown trans or running a new 4 wire branch to the unit. The BPHE I'm using are 16plate 8x3" brazed fitting, designed for 5kw on r22 which seems a little high (ebay #370568522689). All of my measurements have been done with a 12 gallon bucket and not a single piece of insulation anywhere, so the curves are estimates at best. If memory serves, I guessed the unit could recover a 55gal tank from 90f to 130f in about an hour in 80f+ ambient. I have a whole spreadsheet at work of the data, so that will come soon. The evaporator on the system is the condenser re purposed. Built a distribution manifold which splits the evap into 3 circuits of 12, 12, and 14 passes. It is very oversized for cooling as I hope to get decent ratings out of it in cooler weather, as the unit will be placed outside. The controller, has actually surprised me. It is a cheapy but feature packed. (ebay #160794073510). It only comes in C* which my mind is still getting used to. It allows you to configure discharge temp lockout, evap temp for defrost, water temp for setpoint, compressor delay, min and max settable temps, time scheduled, input for pressure lockouts, settings for how long and how many times it can recover from lockout before it shuts down, and can control 3 different types of defrost inclu 2 types rev valve, and resistive. If you use one of these they are intended for heated water only, and the instructions sheet has many critical errors, of which I can supply a corrected sheet (by my own experimentation). Off to work with me, tc!
RB855 is offline   Reply With Quote