View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 03:13 PM   #1254
Thepprof
Lurking Renovator

Default thanks.

I'm guessing here but the device that meters the liquid in the compressor unit appears to be a check valve and orifice combination. The compressor was locked up initially and hence I pulled the unit to scrap. Later bypassed all of the computer controls and with the addition of a hard start cap. the compressor sounded fine. Mainly I wanted to test the compressor prior to hiring a competent professional to correctly vac,purg,and resupply the unit and put it back in service. My hvac training was in the military 45 years ago and home study in the meantime. I know enough to be dangerous to myself. I really do not plan to make any modifications to this unit. If the compressor is bad mechanically then I will keep the good pieces for parts and scrap the rest. I'm thinking of making and adapter for the liquid line direct to a gage and connecting the propane to the low side and once again bypassing all of the electronic stuff to see if the compressor will build up a couple of hundred pounds. I will then shut the whole thing down and look at internal leakdown (just as we used to check the bores on my racing kart engines) good pressure minimal leak down internally the compressor should be good to go. BUT I cannot find any supporting information in this regard. I played with the unit again this PM 90 deg, anbient, 66 deg wet bulb. Delta t at the evap 14 deg. 86.6 deg gas line 44.6 deg liquid line 72 psi gas line 85 psi liq line Delta T at the compressor 7.6 deg. any thoughts. I'm thinking about cleaning the system and going back to R410a. thanks again Owen.
Thepprof is offline   Reply With Quote