View Single Post
Old 04-17-12, 12:13 PM   #24
Student 07
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi,
Now is a great time for renewable energy, things are very dynamic. I was reading about how the price of natural gas is set to drop to 20 year lows.
I mention this because a cheap fuel source could be a game changer for Micro co generation.

Some other information I found was also interesting. Concentrated Solar Power (CSP)
These systems produce heat and electricity for free, since the fuel source is solar. Combining one of these systems with a conventional micro co generator would cut the amount of petroleum fuel needed. The internal combustion motor would only have to work at night and during inclement weather. And if the IC motor operated on Natural Gas, the micro co generator may be able to compete with grid electricity.

The solar generator is designed to produce electricity which can be used directly in a house or sold to the grid. The solar generator produces steam; the steam could go through a heat exchanger and heat domestic hot water. The steam would come out of the HX as a cool liquid which makes the process more efficient. The DHW tank could be connected to a radiant floor system to heat the house.

Doc Air have you researched using renewable energy as a "hybrid" system of micro cogeneration? Does anybody else have information on this kind of idea? It would take a lot of equipment to build, so the initial cost would be high, payback can only come from savings. Of course where you live would play a part, as to, how much solar energy is available, and what you currently pay for electricity.

The solar side still has the renewable energy's Achilles heel, it can't store energy for long (months) periods of time. The only reliable energy stored is in the NG petroleum fuel. That’s why the conventional system would still be needed.

Of course this is all theory, and brainstorming at this point. I look forward to input from others.
Student 07 is offline   Reply With Quote