View Single Post
Old 03-31-12, 01:57 PM   #66
S-F
You Ain't Me

You'd be better than fine!

But the dew point exercise is still very valid. There is a method of building called REMOTE or PERSIST which entails building a house, warping it in ice & water and then installing 100% of the insulation on the outside. There is no insulation in the walls. This all started in Canada or Alaska. Somewhere really cold. They wanted to completely eliminate the possibility of the dew point being inside anything that could rot.
That's where I got the idea for wrapping my board sheathed house in bitchathane. There will be some cellulose in the walls because cellulose makes for a healthier house but the brunt of the work will be done by the foam. It sucks but I don't think it sucks as much as tearing out every exterior wall. I'm not going to put myself or my family through that nonsense.

Also, you're talking about something like an R 60 wall. That's a lot of work you'd have to go through to get the 10" cavities in every room. It would be a gut renovation. Even if you have R 1 bazillion, you like an a 1,000 Sq. Ft. house with wall so thick you end up with a 1oo Sq. Ft. room, if it's not air tight, and I mean really really air tight, it's not going to pay off. The difference between R30 with 1 ACH @ 50 Vs. R 1 bazillion with 2.5 - 3 ACH @ 50 might not be noticeable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 03-31-12 at 02:04 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote