View Single Post
Old 03-24-12, 12:29 AM   #1208
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
My next test was to try the unit in aircondition mode that way the inlet temp of water would be 22 Deg. After only 1/2 hr the evaporator was freezing up. Hmm. I'm thinking antifreeze this would keep the inner surfaces clear of ice and exchange the heat. The only other thought is the evaporator isn't large enough but I cannot help but think even a larger HX would still have the same problem of freezing on the tubes on water just entering the HX.
Randen
Congratulations Randen you have just built a freezer .

I posted about this situation when you wide open water regulating valve on walk-in cooler it becomes walk-in freezer.

There is correlation between discharge temp/pressure and suction temp/pressure. The lower first the lower second. You simply over-sized your condenser.

This is downside of over-sizing condenser or evaporator. AC is right you don't have enough flow, so water starts freezing. I think it is a good idea to use antifreeze instead of water. Water will always find the way to freeze . In case of power failure circulating pump will stop circulating but refrigerant in evaporator will keep evaporating and will freeze water there.

You don't need much antifreeze just enough to keep your system happy.

Last edited by Vlad; 03-24-12 at 12:37 AM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote