View Single Post
Old 03-12-12, 12:05 PM   #1185
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Using a vapor-compression machine to move heat from one place to another is very interesting to me because it leverages the principles of low-exergy heating & cooling. Finding ways to reduce still further the exergy of an already low-exergy process is a challenging and excellent endeavor.

From the standpoint of low-exergy heating & cooling, the idea of a greatly over-sized condenser is very interesting to me, if the surface area of a HX is greatly increased, the temperature of the working fluid doesn't have to be as high (lower exergy) for a given amount of heat to be moved, so efficiency should follow.

I have been enjoying the previous exchange, but only to the extent that it improves my understanding of the principles behind vapor-compression machines, and how to increase their efficiency.

So, from that point of view, the exchange has been only partially useful. Don't get me wrong, hot air is a great thing, but HVAC equipment seems to make much better use of it.

I think that the proof is in the pudding, and BradC has a major batch of pudding he is cooking up and I, for one, am very interested to see how it turns out.

-AC_Hacker