View Single Post
Old 03-02-12, 12:29 PM   #3
AlanE
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You can buy used electric meters like the power company uses, some watt meters for electric cars have data logging but are set up for DC and I'm pretty sure that the TED meter offers data logging as well.
But if you are renting out a room and have wind or solar, you should be able to market that room to people who want to live with wind or solar instead of to someone who is not.
Are you off grid already? if you are then taking on a renter is going to screw with your electrical use and there really isn't much you can do about it other then installing LED lighting, light switches that are motion sensors or timers and furnishing stuff like a super efficient fridge.
If you are not off grid, then what kind of metering does your power company offer? do you have a meter that can run backwards or do you have two meters?
I'm not facing this situation now but I will the option of entering into the situation in the future.

I was simply curious if there were meters on the market which could data log thus enabling me to set terms for the tenant and become my own little "power company" and record the particulars of when they used power (different rates for different times of the day) and present them with a record which backed up the charges.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote