View Single Post
Old 02-29-12, 08:35 AM   #213
Ko_deZ
Helper EcoRenovator

As we have very cold winters here, I have a little insight. With a proper set up ventilation system in Norway, there is a slight negative pressure. The reason is logical when I tell you now =)

If you where to have positive pressure, and very cold outdoors, and one of the inevitable small holes in your humidity block layer (or whatever the plastic on the hot side of the insulation is called), then warm, possibly humid air would be pushed out trough the wall. Moving out the wall, it would be cooled down, the relative humidity going form +20C to -20C would almost guarantee condensation, water damage and rot. It is much better to pull in a little cold air, and keep the building nice and dry. Therefor, all balanced ventilation systems here is not balanced in a pressure type of way, but they are balanced in the way that you do not only force air in or pull air out, but you do both, whereas an unbalanced system would be your bathroom fan going trough the wall to the outside.

To get your wood burning stove burning right, AC is right in saying that you need air supply. Ovens in Norway is trough building regulations codes obligated to have air supply from outdoors to be within the regulated air-tightness that today's buildings should have. My chimney is of this type:
Schiedel : Norway: Solid Vent
Where the air to the oven will come down the chimney on the outside, and the exhaust will go trough the insulated center tube.
The other much used system is just to pull a tube from the outside down to the oven. Be careful with this though, it must be mounted in a way that will not cause condensation on the incoming tube as it will get as cold as the outdoor air.
Feeding the oven with air will give you a much better temperature also btw, since cold air will not be sucked in everywhere, cooling down all rooms that do not have an oven. Mythbusters tested this iirc.

-Ko_deZ-
Ko_deZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ko_deZ For This Useful Post:
roche (02-29-12)