Thread: ASHP question
View Single Post
Old 12-25-11, 06:58 PM   #26
Student 07
Helper EcoRenovator

Hi Xringer,

Yeah 30gpm is a lot of flow, but you have to remember this is designed for a swimming pool with hundreds of gallons to be heated. I just don't know how it would do with a 120gl tank. I suppose with a large enough heat exchanger I would be able to get enough heat out of the ASHP at that high flow rate, but I think the exchanger would be huge.

Here is a unit that can go down to 20gpm.
Aquatherm Heat Pump Specifications

Aquatherm AT105
Specifications

For small to medium size residentials pools and spas

HEAT OUTPUT (BTU/HR*)
Florida Rating @ 80º F*
ARI Stand. 1160 Rating @80 F
US Average Rating @ 50º F 101,000
COEFFICIENT OF PERFORMANCE
Florida Rating @ 80º F*
ARI Stand. 1160 Rating @80ºF
US Average Rating @ 50º F 6.0
Compressor Scroll
Voltage/HZ 208V-230V/60HZ
Phase 1 PH
Min/Max Breaker 40/60
Min/Max Water Flow 20/70 GPM
Minimum Circuit Ampacity 39
Dimensions 34"H x31"W x35"L
Shipping Weight (approximately) 325 lbs.
For Pool Sizes 12x24 to 16x32
For Surface Area (sq ft) 288 - 512
SPECIFICATIONS MAY CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
*Outside the scope of ARI Standard 1160
** Rated in accordance with ARI Standard 1160

You're right about our climate, it is very moderate, so an ASHP should work well. I just can't justify the expense of a geothermal system. I got a qoute one time of $45,000 for a 5 ton vertical well geothermal system.

As you can see from our weather I don't expect much out of a solar system; however, it should be able to supply enough heat for 2 months out of the year, which will help. Plus if I make the collectors myself I won't have much money into it. I consider solar in our area to be an unreliable supplemental heat source.

I am guesstimating that I would be able to use the ASHP for 9 months, the solar for 2 months and propane for 1 month.

It seems like a pool heater should work, but I am sure it will take some "tweaks". I still have a lot to learn. Maybe when I get some more information I will start a new thread, but for now I need to keep my foot out of my mouth.

I like your heating system that uses electricity, oil and wood. I think supplemental heat is the wave of the future. Using only one heat source is setting yourself up for failure. The more alternatives you have the better.

I don't think the pool heaters are using inverter technology, some of them have a 2 speed compressor. I have lots of research to do.
Student 07 is offline   Reply With Quote