View Single Post
Old 09-27-11, 01:57 PM   #9
gasguy
Lurking Renovator

I to have been looking to replace my energy hungry 3 PTAC units. They are 28 years old and have served us well with only 2 start capacitor replacements, DIY. They are 9800 btu heat pumps by Frederich YS series and consume about 1080 watts cooling and up to 3300 watts for heat below 40 deg. Two of them run 24/7 during the summer and winter.

I was wanting to go with the 42 inch slide in chaises for easy re-install. The best unit I found to meet my min. spec's was the GE Zonline heat pump that heats down to 25 deg. Then started looking at what was I to gain. Nothing but higher energy bills since all the PTAC's I looked at did not have DC INVERTERS. I just can not believe MFG's have not jumped into this technology for the PTAC industry.

For the last few months I have investigated the Mini Splits and found that they are the way to go for may needs and should save me about 40% or more on my energy bill.

I plan on buying two 18000 btu mini splits systems as I have read that over sizing isn't to big a deal. I really need more CFM and higher cooling/heating btu's than my old units provided, especially in heating, here in south central Texas.

Thanks, my 1st post
gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote