View Single Post
Old 09-17-11, 06:18 PM   #16
Slavic381
Lurking Renovator

Default IEEE 802.3az & Green Ethernet

You'll have to cut&paste links cause I'm not alowed to post them having less than 5 posts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Efficient_Ethernet

I actually first found out about it from Sapido products which I found searching for a router that can use a USB wimax/clear 4G modem (or phones for that matter - go to support resources FAQ to check supported phones & modems). Interestingly a google products search that includes terms 802.3az or "Green Ethernet" finds very few other products that are compliant and Sapido being the cheapest.

The cheapest one with the lowest power supply rating is: RB-1800 @ 5V 0.6A, though You might want a more full featured products: such as RB-1232 sapido.com.tw/EN/product_router.htm or the "Network Attached storage" GR-1222 which lets You hook up a HD (and schedule donloads to it so You can turn the computer off while it's downloading), webcam ( to monitor online remotely without a comp running at the location, just the router, webcam & modem), printer etc. sapido.com.tw/EN/product_nas.htm

While those are rated at 1+A that is just the power supply, not the idle usage. The idle usage on all models might be just as low as the RB-1800 for all I know cause they all have the 802.3az certification it is just that the more full featured ones run more stuff so need higher peak power which might be worth it if You want those features.

Search for them on google products by part number and manufacturer name (sapido) to get best pricing.

OFF TOPIC:

On a sidenote, I was looking for a remote webcam setup with clear/wimax 4G connection for a boat. A setup that would not require a comp running and be solar powered.

I will probably get the RB-1232 and this camera: lonestargrp.net/shop/article_45/Wireless-IP-Camera-PAN_TILT-Cell-Phone-View.html cause it has motion detection, infra red, pan/tilt, built in web server & recording to a remote server, Supports two-way audio function.

Sapido g series NAS rauter has motion detection, but it's $200+.

Possibly I'll get "Gum USB DV Camera Video Voice Camcorder Motion Detector" BMW Spy Car Key Covert Camcorde motion Detector Camera (~$20) or even "Hidden Camera Towel Hook Motion Sensor" ($50 on ebay) and hook them up to a 5V supply, but that doesn't give me real time notification nor remote storage of the recorded video.
Slavic381 is offline   Reply With Quote