View Single Post
Old 08-31-11, 12:37 AM   #933
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braebyrn View Post
After pulling up the drill bit, you could see that it is being worn down quick. Any ideas on which style bit would work best in bores with small to medium rock and gravel? We have access to a wire feed welder, so almost anything is possible.
Looks like your bit is a pretty good one. I tried lots of configurations. I found that 2-flute bits worked very poorly. Three and more flutes worked better.

You might try making up smaller and medium and bigger size bits and try them all.

Might try drilling with a smaller bit, then enlarging the hole with a bigger bit, see how that goes.

If you have access to a stick rig, there is a larger variety of rod types available than there is welding wire. I think you could build up the edges of your bits with harder steel. I think there is even welding rod that has bits of carbide embedded in the rod. That would be really good for reducing wear.

I made a three-flute bit that had really large flutes, that worked wonderfully for drilling through clay, which was one of my biggest problems.

You might try Google images and search for well drilling bits to get some pictures for ideas.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 08-31-11 at 12:44 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote