View Single Post
Old 04-13-11, 11:45 AM   #24
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default The Little Cloud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Dang, there is a lot to this safety stuff..
Yeah, when you think this stuff through, remember that propane is heavier than air and tends to sink to the lowest level, where it can collect.

Boat owners who may want to cook with gas are required to become aware of this.

I was mucking about with propane (re-filling B-B-Que gas cylinders) and some propane gas got away from me, I was outside near my outside basement stairs, and the little propane cloud went right down into the below-grade stairs (stopped by the door) and there the little cloud stayed...

I went inside the house, got a box fan, turned it on 'high' and blew the propane cloud away.

So the phrase 'tends to sink to the lowest level' is not empty words, it's really the way it works.

Eventually, due to molecular activity, the propane will become intermixed with air and dissipate.

I guess I'm telling you all this because if you are serious enough to consider changing to gas proof switches and SSRs to guard against ignition, an automatic venting system (induction motor or brushless DC fan, of course) accompanied by a gas sensor (located near the floor) should be part of the system, too.

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 04-13-11 at 11:50 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote