EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Wind Power (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Scots windfarms paid cash to stop producing energy (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1540)

Piwoslaw 05-01-11 02:55 PM

Scots windfarms paid cash to stop producing energy

Scots windfarms paid cash to stop producing energy - BBC News

Quote:

The National Grid said the network had overloaded because high winds and heavy rain in Scotland overnight on 5 and 6 April produced more wind energy than it could use.

[...]

Dr Lee Moroney, planning director for the REF, which has criticised subsidies to the renewable sector in the past, said: "The variability of wind power poses grid management problems for which there are no cheap solutions.

"However, throwing the energy away, and paying wind farms handsomely for doing so, is not only costly but obviously very wasteful.

"Government must rethink the scale and pace of wind power development before the costs of managing it become intolerable and the scale of the waste scandalous."

[...]

[Mr Larque] also confirmed that the National Grid spent £280m balancing supply and demand.

A spokesman for the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC), described the incident as "unusual" and said more electrical storage was needed.

He added: "In future we need greater electrical energy storage facilities and greater interconnection with our EU neighbours so that excess energy supplies can be sold or bought where required."
I wonder how much energy storage (in flywheels, for example) could be had for the a few hundred million pounds spent in one evening just to balance the grid's load?

Angmaar 05-01-11 04:04 PM

Flywheel storage would be a good idea there.

Don't they have a dump load of some kind?

Ryland 05-01-11 04:55 PM

With large scale wind turbines you don't use dump loads, you tend to just shut them down, part of why they work so well for meeting the energy demand is that they can be shut down and started up very quickly, so it sounds like poor management.

strider3700 05-01-11 07:28 PM

With enough energy you can do almost anything. They could make gold from nothing if they wanted to. I'm sure there must be something useful that the world needs that they could throw that excess energy at. Even if it's just sucking in air and removing CO2 from it it's better then turning them off and wasting that energy.

tasdbois 05-01-11 09:25 PM

That article raised a question in my mind. What is the most cost effective way to store and reclaim energy on a large scale? Let's say for a few hours, or a few months. I guess the answers could be different. Is the cheapest net financial option just to shut the turbines down?

Piwoslaw 05-01-11 11:50 PM

Pumped-storage hydroelectricity is 70%-85% efficient, compressed air 70%, flywheels up to 90%, but the latter is definately smaller scale than the first two.

The article stated that normally excess power is pumped into England's grid, but this time a malfunction of some sort didn't allow that.

NeilBlanchard 05-04-11 07:15 AM

TOO MUCH renewable power? Now there is a good kind of problem to have...

Xringer 05-04-11 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 13351)
TOO MUCH renewable power? Now there is a good kind of problem to have...

Reminds me of the guy that had a bunch of solar PV on his roof,
connected to a grid-tied inverter (which was illegal in his country),
and his electric meter was the new LCD type, that won't run back-wards!! :eek:

Any PV power above what he was burning, went out to the grid and he was billed for it!
(Like he had Used that power).