EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New to forum (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7422)

Earthshine 06-16-21 05:21 PM

New to forum

Hello - glad to have found this forum.

I'm currently taking bids on installing a photovoltaic rooftop system. This will involve some tree removal and probably a new roof. I already have a geothermal system installed for about seven or eight years or so.

Looking forward to any insight, tips, and guidance.

Earthshine 06-19-21 07:07 AM

I am new to PV and hope to get some guidance as to how to proceed. I could just follow along with whatever the installer says, but would like to hear from others who have installed a PV system themselves. I definitely want to learn more and figured this would be a great place for it.

Or maybe this forum just isn't that busy these days? I found this forum from a post on another of the Admins' forums online. Still hoping someone chimes in.

Thanks.

Daox 06-21-21 09:44 AM

Hello Earthshine. Welcome to the forum. A few of the guys here have done their own PV installs, and maybe one or two had them done. Any specific questions you'd like to ask? that would be a lot easier to address.

Earthshine 06-21-21 10:12 AM

Hey Daox thanks for chiming in. I’m interested in a DIY installation though I wouldn’t know where to start with layout and design. I took advantage of the federal tax credits for my geothermal installation (which was an easier decision because that involved some specialized equipment for the vertical loop field.) It’ll be a plus to future owners that the system was installed professionally. But man is it expensive.

So many questions to ask and so many more I don’t even know about because I’m so new to this! But it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long long time and don’t want to put it off any longer.

Several roofers say I have about ten years left on my roof so I’m planning on a new roof as part of the project. Also tree removal. I’ve heard conflicting answers on whether the tree and roof work is eligible for the tax credit. If anyone has any insight into this I’d appreciate learning more.

pinballlooking 06-21-21 02:48 PM

Check out my install.
https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3053

The first page has links to other installs with a ton of info.

Earthshine 06-21-21 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinballlooking (Post 63752)
Check out my install.

Thanks for that tip pinballlooking. It's an impressive thread - I've been reading through it for the past week or so (time permitting) and I haven't gotten through a third of it. Many of the links I've tried are now dead, they're that old. And there's so many posts it's hard to sort through. All that to say I'm at a disadvantage as I haven't had the benefit of following the project from the beginning. Which is why I'm reaching out for advice from the forum veterans.

So how's the system holding up? Are you glad you did it, eight years down the road? What would you do differently, and what pitfalls would you warn others against? Have you had any roof problems? I would be interested in switching to a metal roof though I probably wouldn't get a go-ahead from the city and the look wouldn't go with the style of the house. And of course trees aren't a problem with your install - nothing like what I am faced with.

pinballlooking 06-21-21 07:08 PM

I removed all bad links in my solar post.
The system is doing great. I have generated enough power since payoff to make $7,300
Not to bad. It is really much more saving than that because of my EV car and not having to heat with natural gas.
So, yea I am glad we did it. Today I would get less panels and much more powerful ones.
It was installed on a metal roof no issues at all.

jeff5may 06-25-21 08:37 PM

For some case studies, check out builditsolar.com

For current prices and lots of helpful system info, check out renvu.com

You'll have to register to see prices at renvu, but it's worth it. The site really does a good job at explaining the parts and how they work together, as well as provide helpful information to help you decide on a system that will meet your needs. HINT: new panels are much cheaper when you buy a whole pallet.

oil pan 4 07-03-21 11:00 AM

Unless your panels are mounted at greater than about 30 degrees, with 0 degrees being horizontal. Might need to occasionally wash your panels.

Earthshine 07-04-21 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff5may (Post 63776)
For some case studies, check out builditsolar.com

For current prices and lots of helpful system info, check out renvu.com

You'll have to register to see prices at renvu, but it's worth it. The site really does a good job at explaining the parts and how they work together, as well as provide helpful information to help you decide on a system that will meet your needs. HINT: new panels are much cheaper when you buy a whole pallet.

This is the kind of guidance I had hoped to find. Thanks for the tips.