EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Renovations & New Construction (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Looking for an HRV that will tie into my furnace ducting (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3262)

strider3700 10-14-13 04:35 PM

Looking for an HRV that will tie into my furnace ducting

Well it's fall here and I've been closing the windows up to keep the house warm. Things are starting to get stuffy in here already so I'm thinking it's time to add an HRV.

I'm wondering if their is a site of comparisons between the different models. Also does anyone have any insight into how well the models designed to tie into the existing furnace ducting work? Running new ducting to every room isn't going to happen. I do have space right beside the furnace however so I should be able to tie in to he supply and return stacks. That also gives me a relatively short 12'-15' run to get to the outside to bring in fresh and exhaust the old air.

A major concern for me is the electric usage of such a device.

A quick hunt on amazon and I found this
Amazon.com: Panasonic FV-04VE1 WhisperComfortTM Spot ERV Ceiling Insert Ventilator with Balanced Ventilation and Patent-Pending Capillary Core: Home Improvement
which basically looks like a bathroom fan that is an HRV.
It's power usage is pretty trivial
23W at 40 CFM, .10" statistic pressure
21W at 20 CFM, .10" statistic pressure
17W at 10 CFM, .10" statistic pressure

It is however small. My house is 2400 sqft roughly so at the highest setting it would do an air change every 8 hours. I could install a couple of them as they're relatively inexpensive but I'm not sure that's the way to go. Anyone have any experience with them?

JRMichler 10-14-13 08:10 PM

My house is 1300 square feet and has a different brand HRV. We have been running it on the lowest speed, about 35 CFM, for 12 years now. We have never felt any need to run it at a higher speed, even when there were six people and a tiny dog in the house.

The exhaust air is taken from the bathrooms, so no need for separate bathroom exhaust fans. The supply air is ducted to the return air duct. I like the setup and would not change it.

Higgy 10-15-13 09:54 AM

Love my HRV. We live in a 25 year old house now, and a year and a half ago I redid the AC/Furnce because...well it was 25 years old and looked like it was about to bite it. Added the HRV as well. They had to pipe it into the cold air return, so it's not true HRV, but it does the job. Had ice all over the windows the first year, and last year...nothing. I'm going to try turning it down this winter a bit so that a bit more humidity stays in the air rather then suck it dry and see how high I can put the humidity without getting ice on the windows.

But so far, yeah, it's awesome. I still open the windows once in a while to let in fresher fresh air, but for the most part this does the job in the winter.

I don't have any specs for you but I'll check the make when I get home.

Mikesolar 10-20-13 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Strider, look at this product. It might fill the bill.