EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Appliances & Gadgets (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   How many watts does a new microwave suck down in standby? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50)

SVOboy 09-19-08 10:50 PM

How many watts does a new microwave suck down in standby?

Just measured my crazy old one and it takes 4 watts in standby, wondering what the new ones use up, :)

Thanks ya'll

SVOboy 09-19-08 10:51 PM

PS: that's about 3 kwh a month from just the microwave!!! Arg.

roflwaffle 09-20-08 01:36 AM

Maybe 1.5-2 times that.

groar 09-20-08 01:46 AM

So mine isn't so crazy ;)

From an ecomodder message :

Quote:

Tested my microwave (~10 years old) :
. idle : 3W
. at max power, 900W given back to food : 1550W
. "idle" after use, waiting for someone to push the stop button, light and turning tray activated : 50W
Denis.

groar 09-20-08 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 251)
PS: that's about 3 kwh a month from just the microwave!!! Arg.

I have a simple rule :
Quote:

1W continuous = 1€/year = 1.5kg CO2 or 0.2g uranium.
In fact it's 0.88€ (1.27$), 1.4kg CO2 (0.16kg/kWh) and 0.19g uranium (0.022g/kWh) but the little bit more motivates a little bit more to reduce the continuous flow. These are based on the French numbers, US may have much more CO2 are far less uranium.

Denis.

SVOboy 09-20-08 05:31 PM

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it's not more than current units. I'll have to get my mom to put in on a switch since the clock is pretty redundant anyway, :)

Binger 09-30-08 01:49 PM

When we moved into our appt. I went about a week without setting the clock and finaly it just blacked out. So I wonder if this saves more like this. No need for the clock when I can just turn around and look at the one on the stove.

Daox 09-30-08 02:18 PM

I just got my kill-a-watt back Sunday night. I'll check out my microwave tonight.

bennelson 10-02-08 08:48 AM

On a related subject,

Consider INDOOR LIGHT POLLUTION.

Even a little bit of light prevents humans from sleeping as best they could.

I often sleep on the sofa in the livingroom (which is a "great-room concept to the kitchen)

I was amazed how much light there was one night:
Clock on the microwave
Clock on the stove
White "sleeping" LED on my Mac laptop
Blue light that blinks while cell-phone charges
Streetlight coming in through window

I unplugged, and then replugged the microwave to clear the clock, flipped the cell phone light-side down, and used the computer sleep feature with the screen up instead of down, which makes that light MUCH dimmer.

I am sure doing these things helped save a little power, but more importantly, it made my house feel more calm.

In a bedroom, you might want to spin a backlit LCD or LED clock around or face-down to keep it from lighting up your room at night.

If you are buying a new clock, get an analog one that runs on a AA battery or get a plug-in LCD which is NOT backlit.

I have also heard that people who wake up in the middle of the night and see what time it is on the clock, often get stressed out about it and then can't get back to sleep!!!

Save power, save your sleep, be stress free.
Kill the clocks.

SVOboy 10-02-08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 458)
I just got my kill-a-watt back Sunday night. I'll check out my microwave tonight.

Any news on this front, tim?