EcoRenovator

EcoRenovator (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/index.php)
-   Tools (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Tools needed to turn wood bowls? (https://ecorenovator.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3289)

SVOboy 11-01-13 01:03 AM

Tools needed to turn wood bowls?

Hi all,

With my huge amount of free time I'm pondering lots of things to do. When I was younger I used to turn some things on the lathe at school and really enjoyed it, so I was thinking about picking up a mini-lathe and turning some small bowls, etc.

I take it I need:
lathe
chuck
tools
wood

What else am I missing? Lathes seem to be expensive in Japan so I'll probably end up ordering one from the US, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Xringer 11-01-13 02:44 PM

Do you have any Harbor Freight stores in your area?

Search results for: 'wood lathe'

hamsterpower 11-01-13 07:39 PM

I have not turned any bowls yet. I understand you need a kiln to thoroughly dry the wood before turning a bowl. Otherwise it will warp and crack.

I saw a guy use an old fridge case with a warm light bulb and a small fan for his kiln.

SVOboy 11-03-13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xringer (Post 32739)
Do you have any Harbor Freight stores in your area?

Search results for: 'wood lathe'

No harbor freight in Japan, unfortunately :(

Xringer 11-03-13 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 32758)
No harbor freight in Japan, unfortunately :(

Forgetful me.. :o

Well, almost all the lathes that Harbor Freight sales here, come from China.
Might be less expensive, ordering from from there.

Ring Master Wood Bowl Lathe w Steady Rest Alpha Pioneer Orlando | eBay

I had never heard of a Bowl Lathe until now.. :o

Wow, tons of videos on youtube!! Large Homemade Bowl Turning Lathe W/Narration - YouTube

SVOboy 11-03-13 07:29 PM

Yeah, Youtube has tons of information which is a big help.

Currently I am looking at this:

Excelsior 5-Speed Mini Lathe, MC-1018 - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I need to figure out whether or not I need a chuck, and if so what chuck to get. It would be nice if I could go to a shop and buy this stuff but oh well :p

SVOboy 11-03-13 07:38 PM

Or this one: NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe

Xringer 11-03-13 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 32761)

That is slick!! NOVA COMET II Midi Lathe Overview at IWFS 2012 - YouTube

SVOboy 11-03-13 08:15 PM

Indeed. It's just a bit more expensive :/

Ryland 11-07-13 08:17 AM

I don't like to turn dry wood for bowls, but if you do want to dry wood, the best way is drop the chunk of wood in a paper bag filled with shavings or saw dust and wait a number of months, if you rush it it will crack, then when you put it on the lathe it will fly apart and hit you in the face!

Make sure you have a good chuck that has a good grip on the wood, often to do this you have to turn a ring on what will be the base of the bowl that the chuck will grab, or if you want to make a vary shallow bowl or plate you can take a disk of wood and using double sided tape, tape it on to a face plate, but doing that increases your chances of the whole thing flying off and for some reason when that happens it tends to aim for your face.